Where Glamour gets geeky
If you have any questions, please contact +44(0) 207 706 0060 or email Customer Service
Primarily for their beauty, but also because of their virtues, gemstones have been revered throughout history, and were commonly thought to bring good luck and health to those who wore them. Astrologers have long accredited supernatural powers to certain gemstones, and it is through this association with the planets that they have come to represent the months. It is human nature to wear what we deem sacred and, in possessing your birthstone, it is considered that you possess something innately associated with your personality and self.
The first recorded instance of people wearing their birthstones was in Poland in the 15th or 16th Centuries. Originally, it was thought that the power of the gemstone was heightened if worn during its corresponding month and, as a result, people had a full set of twelve to rotate throughout the year.
Gradually, however, it became more common for people to be connected with the single stone representing the month of their birth, and the characteristics and luck associated with it.
For an inspired gift idea, we have done our utmost to find the perfect blend of jewellery to reflect the properties of these beautiful stones.
- January: Constancy, Loyalty, Garnet
- February: Sincerity, Peace, Amethyst
- March: Courage, Health, Aquamarine
- April: Innocence, Love, Diamond & White Topaz
- May: Happiness, Fertility, Emerald
- June: Balance, Joy, Pearl
- July: Nobility, Beauty, Ruby
- August: Felicity, Protection, Peridot
- September: Wisdom, Calmness, Sapphire
- October: Balance, Endurance, Opal & Amethyst
- November: Friendship, Strength, Topaz & Citrine
- December: Wisdom, Wealth, Turquoise & Blue Topaz