March's Birthstone: Aquamarine
The birthstone for March is the Aquamarine, a brilliant gemstone that ranges from deep blue shades to light turquoises. Along with emeralds and morganite, the aquamarine is a green-blue variety of the mineral beryl. The gem is mined mainly in Brazil but it also found in Nigeria, Zambia, Madagascar, Pakistan and Mozambique.
What does Aquamarine look like?
Said to resemble the delicate blue where the sea meets the sky, Aquamarine is found in shades of pale blue through to light green. Aquamarine is known to have one of the most unique hues of any gemstone and with its soothing water tones, it’s easy to see why. As light-coloured and partially transparent gemstones, scratches show up very easily on aquamarine gemstones and so it is important to wear and store them with care.
Why is Aquamarine known as the ‘Mermaid Stone’?
Aquamarine is a stone that has been popular since ancient times. Ancient Greek mythology says the gemstone was washed ashore after being spilled from the treasure chests of Sirens. The Ancient Romans believed Aquamarine was a stone sacred to Neptune, God of the Sea.
The name aquamarine derives from Latin words aqua (water) and marina (sea) to mean seawater. This strong connection to water means sailors have worn Aquamarine through the ages to protect them on long journeys and provide safe passage through stormy seas.
- Gold Stilla Pearl and Amazonite BraceletAs low as £115.00
- Gold Celestial Single Pearl NecklaceAs low as £145.00
- Gold Celestial Single Pearl BraceletAs low as £105.00
- Gold Celestial Linia Green Onyx Stud EarringsAs low as £55.00
- Gold Circulus Black Onyx RingAs low as £150.00
- Gold Ottima Amazonite Slice EarringsAs low as £350.00
- Round Red Garnet Stilla Ring in Yellow Gold VermeilAs low as £125.00
- Solid Gold Icon Aura Ruby Pendant NecklaceAs low as £750.00
- Silver Deco Red Agate Drop Hoop EarringsAs low as £125.00
- Gold Biography Red Agate Hamsa BraceletAs low as £145.00
- Gold Deco Red Agate Pendant NecklaceAs low as £145.00
- Solid Gold Icon Aura Hamsa BraceletAs low as £495.00
- Mini Stilla Garnet Ring in Yellow Gold VermeilAs low as £75.00
- Gold Mini Stilla Garnet Stud EarringsAs low as £70.00
- Solid Gold Icon Aura Hamsa Pendant NecklaceAs low as £695.00
- Gold Deco Red Agate Slice Locket NecklaceAs low as £195.00
- Solid Gold Icon Aura Ruby BraceletAs low as £595.00
- Gold Stilla Red Agate Pendant NecklaceAs low as £160.00
- Gold Biography Red Agate Charm BraceletAs low as £145.00
What are the properties of Aquamarine?
Where do we start!? Aquamarine is said to have many properties and seeing as the human body is made-up of 70% water, it makes sense that a stone so associated with the ocean is said to have some pretty amazing effects on the body and mind. It’s one of the great gemstone healers, boosting the immune system and balancing the body. It is said to promote calm and reflection and is often used in meditation for clarity.
This means as well as being a beautiful token for a March birthday, it also makes a perfect gift for anyone needing to de-stress or get some balance in their life.
What are birthstones?
Each month of the year is associated with a stone with different properties. The first mention comes from way back in the Book of Exodus. Stones were first associated with the signs of the Zodiac and then months of the year.
Way back when, it was thought that wearing each month’s stone during that month would bring those properties to the wearer. Although we like this theory (any excuse to wear more jewellery) in modern times people generally wear their own birthstone at any time of year. Explore more about the different birthstones in our Birthstone Guide.
How about an Aquamarine fact?
Aquamarine is also known as the ‘Stone of Courage’ as it is associated with the throat chakra. This means it is said to boost confidence in public speaking, allowing a person to step out of the darkness into the light and find their voice. When worn as a necklace close to the throat this power is said to be even stronger.
It is also usually given as a gift to celebrate the 19th wedding anniversary
How do I wear Aquamarine?
Our Aquamarine Biography Locket Charm is a beautiful little gift or treat for yourself that can be engraved and holds two photos. Wear on a necklace or bracelet and add more meaningful charms with our Online Charm Builder. Lovely for a March birthday or for anyone needing a confidence boost or a little zen in their lives.